Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Letter to My Wife of 15 Years


Dear Joanne,

You have been such a big part of my life for almost as long as I can remember.

You have been my wife for 15 years, my love for 25 and my friend for 28. I just want to say how much it means to me that you have had the love, understanding, trust, acceptance, tolerance and tenacity to stand by me all these years and to say once again, just how much I love you and how much you mean to me.

Neither of us are perfect but I love you for your faults, not in spite of them. Far from driving us apart, our differences have made us truly understand each other's points of view, our feelings and our challenges. Together we have become so much greater as a couple than we could ever have been by ourselves.

I feel so blessed to have you in my life and I know that I am a much better person as a result. Your shining examples of compassion, generosity, empathy and love are a wonder to me which at times leave me truly gob-smacked and cause me to re-evaluate my life in your terms just to become a little better. There are so many things that I do now, which others appreciate but which I would never have learned if it wasn't for you. You compliment me and improve me in so many ways and every day that we have together simply adds to the love and appreciation that I have for you.

I am so grateful to have met someone who values the commitment of marriage and the compromises required as much as you do. Our road hasn't always been smooth but we have worked hard to make it the best journey that anyone could ever make.

I know that I'm not always the easiest person to live with and that I don't always show you the love, appreciation and respect that you deserve.

I will try harder, my love.

You paint the canvas of my life with colours of such joy and happiness that you are worth every effort on my part.

I look forward to what the next 15 years and beyond will bring to our love which has already spanned a quarter of a century.

Your loving husband, always.

Gavin.

--

I can remember sitting in a cinema with my mates feeling very depressed because we'd broken up. This song came on and all I could think about was you. I was so grateful for the dark because at least they couldn't (I hoped) see me crying and I decided there and then that I would get you  back and that this song would play at our wedding.  At the time, I didn't know who sung it - only that it changed my life.

Watching you walking down the aisle to this song on our wedding day was a dream come true.

Thank you.


2 comments:

Melissa Wasson said...

Amazing! When my boys were first diagnosed, I felt like the uncertainty would KILL me! Would they ever be married at all?...THAT was the biggest question! It gives me hope to see your love for your wife!!!

Doris said...

Doris

I wonder what my husband would write to me...I am wondering if he is loving me after so many difficult moments and crossroads